Official Abode of Sugashima Lighthouse 菅島燈台付属官舎

built on Sugashima Island / Ise Bay / Toba City 1873

former official abode of lighthouse keeper relocated to Meiji-Mura 1964

Meiji-mura / Meiji Village Museum

In 1873 the current Western-style lighthouse – designed by Richard Henry BLANTON (1841-1901), known as the “Father of Japanese Lighthouses”- was lit for the first time. The completion ceremony was attended by numerous high-ranking government officials of the time, including SAIGÔ Takamori. There is a bust of BRUNTON in Yokohama, commemorating his important contribution to the development of modern Japanese engineering.